PBD LAWYERING TO HELP FARMERS BECOME MANAGERS
Land distribution is not the end-all and be-all of agrarian reform. The Department of Agrarian Reform’s role does not end in distributing parcels of land or land titles to the farmer-beneficiaries. The DAR must also ensure the sustainability of the farms awarded to them.
This is why the DAR has recently launched the Programs Beneficiaries Development (PBD) Lawyering or Enterprise Lawyering which is aimed at developing the skills of agrarian reform beneficiaries (ARBs) and their organizations in accessing credit facilities and in managing their farms as business enterprises.
The first phase of the program involves the formation of PBD Lawyering teams in the DAR provincial level, culled from a pool of support services staff, lawyers and legal officers. As part of the first phase of this program, and through the efforts of the DAR Legal Affairs Office, lawyers and legal officers from DAR Regional and Provincial Offices were recently given a four (4) – day training as learning coaches in order for them to properly coach the ARBs in their area of operation on matters such as:
1. accessing credit facilities and other financial services from diversified sources;
2. capturing private investments;
3. creating opportunities for growing and/or expanding their enterprises;
4. enhancing financial health and viability; and
5. strengthening their ability to manage or mitigate risks, particularly legal risks.
The said training, conducted in different areas in Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao, has the following modules:
- Module 1—Revisiting PBD Thrust and Directions;
- Module 2—Exploring the Business and Regulatory Environment;
- Module 3—Successful Models and Ideation for Cooperative-Managed Agri-based Enterprises;
- Module 4—Understanding the Building Blocks of Financial Viability and Growth;and
- Module5—Crafting Technical Assistance Plan and Team Coaching for Selected Priority ARB organizations.
“This is a unique training program where the combined expertise and experiences of the department’s legal and support-services offices are harnessed to enhance the legal and support services on access to credit of ARBs and their organizations,” DAR Secretary de los Reyes said.